On October 23rd, BRCSM’s education attorneys presented the 2023 Legal Institute before the RI School Superintendents Association and RI Association of Business Officials. The annual Legal Institute is an opportunity for superintendents, assistant superintendents, business officials, special education directors, and IT professionals from schools across the state to learn what’s new on the legal front.
- Recent Supreme Court decisions regarding education
- Recent Rhode Island state and district court decisions regarding education and employment
- Recent Rhode Island Department of Education decisions
- Recent decisions from the RI Attorney General’s Office regarding the OMA and APRA
- Proposed rulemakings by the Department of Education, Department of Labor, and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Recent changes or adoption of statutes by the R.I. General Assembly regarding education
Attendees were also provided with resource materials for the subjects covered.
The afternoon presentations centered on AI—its benefits and downsides—and advice on how to approach policy development and implementation to regulate use of these tools in an educational setting. Sean Clough and nationally recognized AI specialist, Amanda Bickerstaff, presented on opportunities and concerns in this area. This presentation incorporated hands-on AI experiences which illuminated the potential uses of AI in an educational setting.
If you are interested in any of the topics discussed at the Legal Institute, contact our educational law team here.